The Kendriya Vidyalayas have a four - fold mission, viz.,
- To cater to the educational needs of children of transferable Central Government including Defence and Para-military personnel by providing a common programme of education
- To pursue excellence and set the pace in the field of school education
- To initiate and promote experimentation and innovations in education in collaboration with other bodies like Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) and National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) etc.
- To develop the spirit of national integration and create a sense of "Indianness" among children.
In pursuance of the above Mission, the Kendriya Vidyalayas have been set up with the following features:
- All Kendriya Vidyalayas are co-educational.
- Common curriculum and bi-lingual medium of instruction, i.e. English and Hindi are followed.
- Sanskrit is taught from Class VI to X.