The Kendriya Vidyalayas have a four - fold mission, viz.,
- To cater to the educational needs of children of transferable Central Government including Defence and Para-military personnel by providing a common programme of education
- To pursue excellence and set the pace in the field of school education
- To initiate and promote experimentation and innovations in education in collaboration with other bodies like Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) and National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) etc.
- To develop the spirit of national integration and create a sense of "Indianness" among children.
In pursuance of the above Mission, the Kendriya Vidyalayas have been set up with the following features:
- Kendriya Vidyalayas primarily cater to the educational needs of the wards of transferable Central Govt. employees.
- All Kendriya Vidyalayas are co-educational.
- Common Text books, common curriculum and bi-lingual medium of instruction, i.e. English and Hindi are followed.
- All Kendriya Vidyalayas are affiliated to the Central Board of Secondary Education.
- Teaching of three languages - English, Hindi & Sanskrit from Class VI to VIII is compulsory. In Class IX and X, any two languages out of English, Hindi and Sanskrit can be offered. Sanskrit can also be taken as an elective subject at +2 stage.
- No tuition fee is charged from students up to Class VIII, SC/ST students, children of Officers and men of the Armed Forces killed or disabled during the wars of 1962, 1965 and 1971 against China and Pakistan and girl students up to Class XII.